Sunday, March 21, 2010

Getting Ready - Shoes

I researched running, running for beginners, training, running barefoot, running shoes, walking versus running and about a dozen other related topics.

There's a buzz lately about running barefoot. I can understand the benefits of that. After considering the pros and cons, I decided I am a shoe person. A thousand shoe manufacturers agree, but did I need a special running shoe? I tried to find the most unbiased reports and comments. Yes, in order to be a "successful" runner, I need good running shoes. Of course, anyone can run in any shoe. But my goal is to run pain free, injury free and to enjoy the sport. So I bucked up. It was hard. I buy the vast majority of everything I wear from the clearance rack. The thought of spending more than ten dollars for a pair of shoes took some convincing.

For your first pair, you need the expertise of a trained running shoe person, at a specialty running store. The nice young lady asked me lots of questions, then examined and measured my feet, while sitting, while standing and watched me walk. She punched the results into a gizmo that told her the best shoes for me. I tried on four pair, with custom insoles and special socks. They are without a doubt, THE most comfortable shoes I've EVER worn. It's recommended to only wear one's running shoes while running, and therefore, they will last longer. I have a model that will last 500 miles. I feel like I bought tires for my feet. But now that I know what to buy, future shoes will be cheaper to buy on-line.

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny - I feel like I bought tires for my feet. When you first said you were going to blog about running, I was thinking, this could be a little boring, but I see now that it is going to be a hoot and look forward to running with you - via the blog of course. Tell me more about your new running shoes.

    ReplyDelete