Monday, April 26, 2010

Does This Make Me Look Fat?

Along with my new fun and very comfy shoes, I have purchased some appropriate clothing.

First item was a sports bra. I had a cotton one which made me look like I was twelve years old. Where did the girls go? It's like a mammogram in a bra. But "cotton is rotten" according to runners--everything needs to be moisture wicking fabric. Translate that into expensive. And I am so cheap. At KMart, I found Joe Boxer makes high and medium impact sports bras with molded cups and moisture wicking fabric. Perfect and I get to look like a woman. And they were cheaper than the cotton-make-you-flat-as-a-fried-egg type.

I had my one top I bought off the clearance rack when I got my shoes. Then I saw the Nike store at Mills had a clearance sale and I snatched up some serious 80% off sale price bargains--all with the special dry weave fabric.

Running clothes tend to be clingy and body conforming. The fabric can't do its job if it's not next to your skin. I get that. The tops might as well have big red arrows pointing to every bulge and roll. But I draw the line at the pants. My arse is big enough without being amplified by body hugging fabric. I had to go with regular cotton blend jogging pants. Tip--don't hem up pants before washing and buy a size larger. I thought I grew and inch and a half and gained 15 pounds overnight. The pants shrunk. A lot. With the granting of a small miracle, maybe, just maybe, by summer time, my hiney will not be considered an extra appendage and I can celebrate by wearing real running shorts. Long ones of course.

Niece Jessica has been inspired to start running. You go girl! She says she bought running shorts and she is one person who would look really good in them. For the rest of us in training, they are a cruel design. Someone should invent beginner running clothes for out of shape people. Something that won't make me look like a shrink-wrapped marshmallow.

I have to say though, the special fabric does its job. Even though I'm sweataing, I don't feel like a drowning pig. Might look like one, but we won't go there. Comfort is key.

2 comments:

  1. You do not look bad, but you cracked me up with "shrink-wrapped marshmallow." You could start a business designing beginner running clothes for out of shape people! You'd make a fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no matter how bad it hurts to run with my boobs for some reason i refuse to wear a sports bra for that exact reason " where did the girls go" I feel fat, and when i feel fat, running is discouraging, for some reason i feel i need to look good in order to work out, doesnt make much sense but thats my brain for yuh.. I will be chaperoning prom this year and i dont want to look like a fat blob.. so now i have my official excuse to get back on the diet and back to the gym.

    ReplyDelete