Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I'm Back - June 7th

I had to take a few weeks off--my schedule was just too full. And that whole "do something for three weeks and it's a habit" does not work on me. I could do something for three years, miss one day and never look back.

Although I was making small progress on my last two runs (can I call them that if I'm still walking a lot? Maybe "ralking" is a better term) I still felt discouraged. I was really hoping to be in shape for the summer. Nothing screams Failure! more than not making your goal.

So now that Bud is home, I thought I'd try again.

Here's how it works. I go to bed thinking, I have to get up early to run, or ralk. Then I wake up about every 90 minutes wondering what time it is. At about 5:15 when I'm ready to pass into a coma, I realize it's time to get up.

Monday morning--5:30 AM I head out the door and up the street. Yep, no park this time. Bring on the hills. I had pretty much given up on the strict schedule of this many minutes walking, this many running. It was just too depressing to realize I couldn't make it past three minutes. I stopped timing myself and have no idea how long my longest run was. So I run when I feel like running and walk when I feel like walking. I always have to do things my way. It went amazingly well. I did run several times over the course of 30 minutes. I think I'll try that again on Wednesday.

Maybe this can become a habit afterall.

2 comments:

  1. That's good and you should do what works for you because whoever devised the guidelines to begin with did it according to what worked for THEM. And I'm like you - I could do something for years as well and miss one day and I'm all done. What is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray, you are back! I love your term "ralking". You are so clever. I have a great article for you and will give it to you when I see you. Also, Victoria mentioned having some info to share with you. She was never a runner but is once again training for a run. I think you are smart to go with what works for you. Now that's success!

    ReplyDelete